Ordering Info for Instructors
Please note: Every MacGAMUT 6 CD and every MFun: Music Fundamentals CD is a "Hybrid CD" including everything needed to install the product on both Mac and Windows computers:
- If you purchase MacGAMUT 6, it may be installed on as many computers as you wish, it may be used on both platforms interchangeably, and the personal startMG6.mgs file will maintain a complete record of usage on both platforms.
- If you purchase MFun, it may be installed on as many computers as you wish, it may be used on both platforms interchangeably, and the personal Transcript.mft file will maintain a complete record of usage on both platforms.
For general ordering info, click here
If you are ordering for your students through a bookstore, click here
If you are ordering MacGAMUT 6 for a departmental computer lab (sorry, MFun is not available for lab purchases), click here
Order MacGAMUT or MFun as if it were a textbook
You may place your order through an academic bookstore, just as you would for a textbook. Your students can then purchase their individual copies of MacGAMUT or MFun when they purchase their other course texts.
What to order
Here's what your bookstore will need to know to process your order:
Title: MacGAMUT 6 User Disk
Author: Ann K. Blombach
Suggested retail price: $40
Title: MFun: Music Fundamentals
Author: Elizabeth Sayrs
Suggested retail price: $40
If your bookstore has not ordered from us before, you may also want to give them a copy of the MacGAMUT Music Software Inc. Order Form, so they'll have all the information about how to contact us. Or give them our Web address, and they can get all the info they need to place your order from this website.
FREE for adopting instructors ("desk" copies)
When you place a bookstore order for either MacGAMUT or MFun (or both!), click here to use our convenient online form or else phone the MacGAMUT office at 1-800-305-8731. All we need is your name, your institution, the bookstore you've ordered through, and your postal address. If additional instructors will be also using MacGAMUT or MFun, please request a desk copy for each (including GTAs, if applicable).
- For MacGAMUT Instructors: We will send you an Instructor Disk Set consisting of an Instructor Disk and a complimentary User Disk for your own use. Instructor Disk programs permit you to customize the User Disk software to suit your particular situation. Even if they are not customizing MacGAMUT themselves, each instructor should have an Instructor Disk for the Check Stats application which decodes the startMG6.mgs files students submit as evidence of their work on MacGAMUT. And instructors are always more successful in motivating students to use MacGAMUT software if they know how the User Disk program works. You may also use the complimentary User Disk in your Instructor Disk set to install MacGAMUT 6 software on as many lab computers as you wish. Since individual students must access their personal startMG6.mgs files in order to use MacGAMUT, such a lab installation is not a violation of copyright. If only students who have bought their own MacGAMUT User Disks will be using the software in your lab, there is no need for your department to purchase copies for the lab.
- For MFun Instructors: We will send you a complimentary MFun CD for your own use. Once you register MFun using the special instructor-only Registration Number included with the CD, you will have access to the MFun Instructor Materials available for MFun. Even if you choose not to customize how MFun operates, you will probably still want to use the MFun openTranscript application which decodes the Transcript.mft files students submit as evidence of their work on MFun. The MFun Instructor Materials also include an alternate settings file as well as info about how to customize MFun for your own students if you choose to do so. You may also use the complimentary MFun CD to install MFun on as many lab computers as you wish. Since individual students must access their personal transcript.mft files in order to use MFun, such a lab installation is not a violation of copyright. If only students who have bought their own MFun CDs will be using the eText in your lab, there is no need for your department to purchase copies for the lab.
For student software: Students who purchased MacGAMUT 2003 are entitled to download a FREE UPGRADE to MacGAMUT 6 (and all subsequent updates to that release) from this website. This means that all your students can be using the same software, even if some of them purchased MacGAMUT 2003. Your students' MacGAMUT 2003 start2003.mgs files will be instantly upgraded to the new startMG6.mgs format the first time they use MacGAMUT 6.
For instructor files: Any revised presets files you may have created using the MacGAMUT 2003 Instructor Disk software can be used as-is without upgrading them, though you may want to look at them using the new MacGAMUT 6 Instructor Disk software, which will upgrade them so you can take advantage of the new instructor options in MacGAMUT 6. If you have edited or created your own library files, they can be easily upgraded to work with the new software.
Suggested Retail Price and bookstore pricing
MacGAMUT 6 User Disks are intended to retail for $40 each, and MFun: Music Fundamentals CDs are also intended to retail for $40 each. That price appears as part of the ISBN info printed on the label of each package. Depending on your bookstore's policy, the price your students pay may be higher than the Suggested Retail Price. If you find that your bookstore is charging more than the SRP, you may want to discuss pricing with the textbook manager. If two or more competing bookstores serve your campus, you may be able to secure a better price for your students by giving a single bookstore an "exclusive" on MacGAMUT and/or MFun.
Bookstores sometimes defend charging a higher markup for CDs because they "know" they can't return a CD overstock. While this may be a valid reason for inflating the prices they charge for other products from other companies, it is not true of MacGAMUT Music Software, Inc. Bookstores may return MacGAMUT or MFun at any time with no time limit, no permission required.
If you cannot negotiate a reasonable retail price with the bookstore, you may want to encourage your students to order directly from MacGAMUT Music Software International. Including the $3.00 shipping charge per order (to US or Canadian addresses), a single disk order from MacGAMUT costs $43.00, which may be lower than the price your bookstore charges. There are no shipping charges for the "Download Only" (no CD) option for MacGAMUT User Disk software or for MFun: Music Fundamentals, so the cost would be just $40 (plus sales tax for retail sales billed to Ohio addresses). If students pool their orders, they can save even more: orders of 5 or more CDs (MacGAMUT, MFun, or some of each) shipped to one address receive a 20% discount and free shipping, making the net cost per CD only $32 (plus sales tax for retail shipments to Ohio addresses).
"The interesting thing is that students in classes which don't require MacGAMUT often buy it anyway, hearing from their friends how it helps their ear training. So, I ordered about 15 more than we'd actually require for those students. My students love the application!" --K.M., Colorado
Ordering MacGAMUT 6 for your departmental computer lab (sorry, MFun is not available for lab purchases):
To place an order for a computer lab
Note: If only students who have bought their own MacGAMUT User Disks or their own copies of MFun: Music Fundamentals will be using MFun in your lab, there is no need for your department to purchase copies for the lab. You may install MacGAMUT 6 and MFun on as many lab computers as you wish using the complimentary MacGAMUT 6 User Disk or MFun CD that is sent to all instructors who adopt MacGAMUT 6 or MFun as a text.
If you are not adopting MacGAMUT 6 as a course text, or if you want students who are not enrolled in the courses for which MacGAMUT is a required text to be able to use the software, you may choose to purchase one or more User Disks for your computer lab. We do not offer site licenses in the sense that many software companies do. Generally, site licenses permit institutional purchasers to install high-cost software on a number of machines in a lab at a reduced cost. We keep the price of MacGAMUT software low so students can afford to buy it as if it were a textbook, and we have not developed a separate product specifically for site-licensing.
For a computer lab installation, we require that your department purchase one copy of MacGAMUT for each computer the software will be installed on, and only one “working” startMG6.mgs file is permitted for each disk purchased. The number of students who may use MacGAMUT simultaneously is, therefore, limited to the number of copies you have purchased for your lab. Of course, without having their own individual startMG6.mgs files, your students will be limited to using MacGAMUT only in the lab, so they cannot exploit the software’s portability by using it on their own computers at their convenience. And, since each start file in a lab installation is shared by multiple students, the software may only be used for practice, not for mastery-based learning. For the same reason, you do not have individual record keeping with shared start files, so you cannot monitor each student’s effort and achievement. But many departments have found that, by purchasing a number of MacGAMUT User Disks for a lab, they can offer their students an effective learning tool at minimal cost to the department and at no cost to the individual student.
What to order
Here's what your purchasing department will want to know to process your order:
- MacGAMUT 6 User Disk (ISBN: 978-1-886997-21-9) retails for $40 each.
- MacGAMUT 6 Instructor Disk (ISBN: 978-1-886997-22-6) retails for $10 (FREE with institutional orders for 5 or more User Disks).
How many User Disks to order
You can install MacGAMUT 6 User Disk software on any number of lab computers from a single CD. The number of students who may use MacGAMUT simultaneously is limited by the number of copies of MacGAMUT you have purchased. The number of User Disks you should buy for your lab is determined, therefore, by the maximum number of students you want to use MacGAMUT software at the same time. For example, if you purchase 5 copies, you may put a startMG6.mgs file on a maximum of 5 computers.
We offer a 20% discount for orders of 5 or more User Disks, and we include a FREE Instructor Disk if the purchaser is an instructor or an institution.
We must charge state sales tax on retail orders shipped to Ohio. But all purchases by educational and religious institutions are automatically exempt from Ohio sales tax. Otherwise, orders shipped to Ohio addresses must include 6.75% Ohio sales tax.
There are no shipping charges for the "Download Only" (no CD) option for MacGAMUT User Disk software. Add $3.00 per order for delivery within the U.S. and Canada, $5.00 for delivery elsewhere. Orders of 5 or more User Disks always include FREE shipping, wherever they are shipped. Additional charges apply for expedited delivery or other special shipping requests.
We have most orders packed up and on their way less than 24 hours after we receive them. We ship small orders by USPS First-Class mail unless you select FedEx Ground or FedEx 2nd Day, and larger orders go by UPS or FedEx Ground. Shipments outside the U.S. go via Air Mail, Global Priority Mail, UPS, or FedEx, depending on the destination. We will accommodate requests for expedited shipping or shipping via other carriers whenever possible, but an additional shipping surcharge will apply.
All MacGAMUT software purchased may be upgraded FREE to the next release. For example, MacGAMUT 2003 purchasers are entitled to download a free upgrade to MacGAMUT 6 from this website, and MacGAMUT 6 purchasers will be able to download a free upgrade from this website to MacGAMUT 7 whenever that version is released.
How to place your order
- On the Web: Order online! We can accept personal and departmental VISA, MasterCard, and Discover Card orders over a secure link from this website.
- By phone: Call toll-free 1-800-305-8731 from the US and Canada to order using VISA, MasterCard, or Discover Card.
- By fax: Print the Instructor Order Form, and fax the completed form with your institutional purchase order or VISA, MasterCard, or Discover Card info toll-free to 1-877-370-1074 from the US and Canada.
- By Mail: Print the Instructor Order Form, and mail the completed form with your check, money order, institutional purchase order, or VISA, MasterCard, or Discover Card information to:
MacGAMUT Music Software, Inc.
146 North Hamilton Road, Suite 156
Gahanna OH 43230-2600