Ordering Info for Instructors
BREAKING NEWS: We have held our suggested retail price at $40 since 2008. But, to maintain our low pricing, we must reduce our production, distribution, and accounting costs. With only one exception (see next paragraph), we are now offering our titles only as downloads and only as online credit/debit card sales through our website. In other words, we are no longer selling packaged CD-ROMs.
We understand that scholarship/financial aid students at some institutions are required to buy all their course texts through a brick-and-mortar bookstore. If yours is one of those institutions, please ask your bookstore textbook manager to e-mail us at StoreOrders@macgamut.com for more info about how they can continue offering our two titles to that limited student population through your bookstore.
- If you purchase MacGAMUT 6, it may be installed on as many computers as you wish, it may be used on both platforms interchangeably, and the personal startMG6.mgs file will maintain a complete record of usage on both platforms.
- If you purchase MFun, it may be installed on as many computers as you wish, it may be used on both platforms interchangeably, and the personal Transcript.mft file will maintain a complete record of usage on both platforms
If you are ordering MacGAMUT 6 for a departmental computer lab (sorry, MFun is not available for lab purchases), click here
FREE for adopting instructors (the equivalent of "desk" copies)
When you decide to adopt either MacGAMUT or MFun (or both!), click here to use our convenient online form. All we need is your name, your institution, your mailing address, and your e-mail address. If additional instructors will be also using MacGAMUT or MFun, please request a desk copy for each (including GTAs, if applicable).
- For MacGAMUT Instructors: We will send you a complimentary Instructor-use-only MacGAMUT Registration Number as well as info about how to access the password-protected MacGAMUT Instructor Materials. Even if you are not customizing MacGAMUT yourself, you should have the Check Stats application which decodes the startMG6.mgs files students submit as evidence of their work on MacGAMUT. And instructors are always more successful in motivating students to use MacGAMUT software if they know how the User program works. You may install MacGAMUT 6 software on as many lab computers as you wish. Since individual students must access their personal startMG6.mgs files in order to use MacGAMUT, such a lab installation is not a violation of copyright. If only students who have bought their own MacGAMUT User software will be using the program in your lab, there is no need for your department to purchase copies for the lab.
- For MFun Instructors: We will send you a complimentary Instructor-use-only MFun Registration Number as well as info about how to access the password-protected MFun Instructor Materials. Even if you choose not to customize how MFun operates, you will probably still want to use the MFun openTranscript application which decodes the Transcript.mft files students submit as evidence of their work on MFun. The MFun Instructor Materials also include an alternate settings file as well as info about how to customize MFun for your own students if you choose to do so. You may install MFun on as many lab computers as you wish. Since individual students must access their personal transcript.mft files in order to use MFun, such a lab installation is not a violation of copyright. If only students who have bought their own MFun eText will be using it in your lab, there is no need for your department to purchase copies for the lab.
The price for MacGAMUT 6 (ISBN: 978-1-886997-21-9) is $40 each. The price for MFun: Music Fundamentals (ISBN: 978-1-886997-23-3) is also $40 each.
Except for scholarship/financial aid students at some institutions who are required to buy all their course texts through a brick-and-mortar bookstore, students purchase MacGAMUT and/or MFun through our website. It's easy! Just tell them to go to macgamut.com and click on one of the green Order or ORDER ONLINE buttons. Students can save by pooling their orders because we offer a 20% discount for orders of 5 or more Registration Numbers. The quantity discount brings the cost down from $40 for a single Registration Number to only $32 each for any order of 5 or more Registration Numbers.
For student software: Students who purchased MacGAMUT 2003 are entitled to download a FREE UPGRADE to MacGAMUT 6 (and all subsequent updates to that release) from this website. This means that all your students can be using the same software, even if some of them purchased MacGAMUT 2003. Your students' MacGAMUT 2003 start2003.mgs files will be instantly upgraded to the new startMG6.mgs format the first time they use MacGAMUT 6.
For instructor files: Any revised presets files you may have created using the MacGAMUT 2003 Instructor software can be used as-is without upgrading them, though you may want to look at them using the new MacGAMUT 6 Instructor software, which will upgrade them so you can take advantage of the new instructor options in MacGAMUT 6. If you have edited or created your own library files, they can be easily upgraded to work with the new software.
"The interesting thing is that students in classes which don't require MacGAMUT often buy it anyway, hearing from their friends how it helps their ear training. So, I ordered about 15 more than we'd actually require for those students. My students love the application!" --K.M., Colorado
Ordering MacGAMUT 6 for your departmental computer lab (sorry, MFun is not available for lab purchases):
To place an order for a computer lab
Note: If only students who have bought their own MacGAMUT Registration Numbers will be using MacGAMUT in your lab and/or only students who have bought their own copies of MFun: Music Fundamentals will be using MFun in your lab, there is no need for your department to purchase copies for the lab. You may install MacGAMUT 6 and MFun on as many lab computers as you wish (click the Installers button on the left side of this page and follow the links to access the installer you need)..
If you are not adopting MacGAMUT 6 as a course text, or if you want students who are not enrolled in the courses for which MacGAMUT is a required text to be able to use the software, you may choose to purchase one or more Registration Numbers for your computer lab. We do not offer site licenses in the sense that many software companies do. Generally, site licenses permit institutional purchasers to install high-cost software on a number of machines in a lab at a reduced cost. We keep the price of MacGAMUT software low so students can afford to buy it as if it were a textbook, and we have not developed a separate product specifically for site-licensing.
For a computer lab installation, we require that your department purchase one MacGAMUT Registration Number for each computer the software will be installed on, and only one “working” startMG6.mgs file is permitted for each Registration Number purchased. The number of students who may use MacGAMUT simultaneously is, therefore, limited to the number of Registration Numbers you have purchased for your lab. Of course, without having their own individual startMG6.mgs files, your students will be limited to using MacGAMUT only in the lab, so they cannot exploit the software’s portability by using it on their own computers at their convenience. And, since each start file in a lab installation is shared by multiple students, the software may only be used for practice, not for mastery-based learning. For the same reason, you do not have individual record keeping with shared start files, so you cannot monitor each student’s effort and achievement. But many departments have found that, by purchasing a number of MacGAMUT Registration Numbers for a lab, they can offer their students an effective learning tool at minimal cost to the department and at no cost to the individual student.
What to order
Here's what your purchasing department will need to know to place your order:
- MacGAMUT 6 (ISBN: 978-1-886997-21-9) retails for $40 for each Registration Number. Go to macgamut.com and click on one of the green Order or ORDER ONLINE buttons to place the order.
How many Registration Numbers to order
You can install MacGAMUT 6 User software on any number of lab computers. The number of students who may use MacGAMUT simultaneously is limited by the number of MacGAMUT Registration Numbers you have purchased. The number of Registration Numbers you should buy for your lab is determined, therefore, by the maximum number of students you want to use MacGAMUT software at the same time. For example, if you purchase 5 Registration Numbers, you may put a startMG6.mgs file on a maximum of 5 computers.
We offer a 20% discount for orders of 5 or more Registration Numbers.
We must charge state sales tax on retail orders billed to an Ohio address. But all purchases by educational and religious institutions are exempt from Ohio sales tax (be sure to click the "tax exempt" box when you place your order online at macgamut.com). Otherwise, orders shipped to Ohio addresses must include 7.5% Ohio sales tax.
All MacGAMUT software purchased may be upgraded FREE to the next release. For example, MacGAMUT 2003 purchasers are entitled to download a free upgrade to MacGAMUT 6 from this website, and MacGAMUT 6 purchasers will be able to download a free upgrade from this website to MacGAMUT 7 whenever that version is released.
How to place your order